Friday, March 8, 2013

Soccer a New Season… 25 Years Later!


Two years after my heart attack, over a 100 pound weight loss and being in the best shape of my life because of running, exercise and eating healthy, I got an itch, that itch was soccer. I played as a child and fell in love, In Jr. High School I was moved to the goalie position and fell deeper in love. I played Keeper and Sweeper/Stopper during my two years in HS, I even coached that position. I remember getting into “shape” for the season of play I would complain “Why do I have to run… I am the goalie I don’t move out of the goal box?” I was told “You need to be in shape and have endurance just like the rest of the team.” So grudgingly I ran and I hated it.

So 25 years later, I have fallen in LOVE with running, I am miserable if I miss a scheduled run. So God in His infinite wisdom says to me, quietly, “Robin now you are in “Shape”, you can play soccer again”. At first I was taken aback, no He really didn’t just say that. “Yep I really did, find you a league and get out there and play”. So I went on the internet and found PASL, Premiere Adult Soccer League of Winston-Salem, I contacted them and was assigned a team for the Spring Season of 2013. I was ready… wait I needed equipment, I was in heaven at the sporting goods store, buying soccer balls, socks, goalie clothes, shoes, shin guards, goalie gloves… you name it and I bought it.
Then as I got home and started to put away my new soccer equipment, it sunk in… 25 year, 25 YEARS… 25 LONG YEARS since I had even held a soccer ball. What have I done?!? So I put the fear and dread to the side and focused on my running, it calmed me.

Then the day came… It rained, to wet to play… have to wait till next week. Then the day came… fields still wet, we may not play… they are moving us to another set of fields. I so don’t want to play I have injured my knee (see previous blog entry). Ok so the day has arrived, I put on my clothing, equipment and head out. I make a decision, I will play and if my knee starts to hurt I will pull out. I get to the fields, I know no one. I meet the other team; my team is not there… 25 YEARS, OMG! What have I done? As my team starts to arrive, they are girls, 18 to 30 years old, I’m a 42 year old, injured, slightly still over weight, heart attack survivor! What have I done?
Ok, I talk to the captain we decide I will play, but if my knee hurts I call it and they take me out.
The game starts and WOW, why are they all down here at my end… For an hour and a half (45 minutes each half of play) the other team ran all over us. They out numbered us and had two reserve players they dominated the field.


As I stood there in awe of the fact that I was diving, jumping, sliding and blocking the 500 (really it was more like 20 shots on goal) shots taken at me, I was impressed I didn’t have another heart attack, die or break any bones. I was never winded and I kept up with the younger girls on my team. I stopped all but 8 shots on goal and lived to tell this story. The girls on my team are hard working and never stopped, hopefully the rest of this season will be with fewer shots on me and more on the other goalie of the other team, either way I am having a blast just to be on the field again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment