Friday, March 1, 2013

Injury Free is an Oxymoron!


All runners know that at one time or another you will have an injury or be sick. I have braved the running world head on into all extreme weather conditions: Rain, Ice and Snow also as of late pelting freezing rain with high gusts of winds. I have had a cold from the sniffles to the flu. I have braved it all and have been very, very, very careful not to fall or injury my body that it would cause me not to run. I was going to make sure I didn't have to worry about a bodily injury forcing me to stop running.

Then it happened… an incident at work where you would never think you would injury a part of your body that you actually need to run. I was doing some photography of product for a new brochure and sat back on a bucket I was using as a seat so I could get better angles of the product and missed the bucket. I fell on my ass and left side hip, but when I fell I must have also used my right heel to catch myself and I twisted and slammed my right knee too. Causing pain when walking and I knew I was not going to be able to run.

WTF! I have a half marathon in less than a month; I am starting Soccer in less than a week. You have got to be FREAKING kidding me!?! Now what?
I was mad, I was pissed and I was scared, I thought I am not going to be able to run, my heart started to race, I got cold sweats…. “Wait, just wait, you have been running and preparing yourself for something like this for two years, you will be OK.”
I love when God just says it like it is. OK God, I have to rest. I have to heal. And I have to be patient.

I have been doing what needs to be done to rest my injured knee and I am resigned to take it easy as many days as it takes to get back out on the road. This is a test, I feel like I am in a movie and the climax for the ending where I battle all the odds and win is right around the corner. But I have all ready done that, I did that when I beat heart disease. This is a test to see if I can be patient and allow my body to heal and then I can go again. I will pass this test and I will finish my half marathon and I will excel at Soccer.

No comments:

Post a Comment